How To Buy A Horse You See Here
HORSES ON THIS WEBSITE ARE RACEHORSES FOR SALE BY OWNER DIRECTLY FROM THE RACETRACK.
ANY “CANTER OWNED” horses will be duly marked as such, and you’ll be then prompted to complete an adoption application.
STEPS to PURCHASE “FOR SALE BY OWNER” HORSES:
Unless ad states otherwise, ALL HORSES are located at:
Fairmount Park Racetrack
9301 Collinsville Rd
Collinsville, IL 62234
FIRST: If you are interested in a horse, please contact the individual listed in each ad via phone or text – BUT BEFORE YOU CALL, READ THIS:
- Most horse prices are negotiable, but not by half!
- You will not get a sound 4yo 16.3 hand grey gelding for $500
- Don’t let a horse’s price tag scare you away, it never hurts to make an offer, but ensure your offer is reasonable
- However, don’t waste an owner/trainers time by surprising them with a low offer after extensive conversation or viewing the horse – be upfront and honest about what you can afford/are willing to pay
- If your offer is not accepted, please do not argue about the price or tell a trainer their horse isn’t worth what they are asking. Be polite, leave your information with them and ask them to contact you if they change their mind
HOW TO BE A GOOD BUYER!
CANTER works very hard to establish positive relationships with owners and trainers at the racetrack
- Please do your part and be courteous so we can continue to help these horses find homes!
- Make sure to read the entire ad before contacting an owner/trainer, view all photos and videos
- Don’t pull a no show – If you are unable to make it to an appointment to view the horse, let the owner/trainer know
- Be honest about your experience and your expectations for the horse to help both you and the owner/trainer determine if the horse is the right fit for you
- Don’t waste an owner/trainers time if you aren’t seriously interested in the horse or not ready to buy a horse right now
These horses have had NO RE-TRAINING unless otherwise stated in their ad. They only know how to be racehorses.
What a racehorse knows how to do:
- stand for farrier
- stand for bath
- saddle and bridle
- loud noises, crowds, loud-speakers, heavy equipment, commotion
- know basic steering and aids
- loading, unloading and how to be in a trailer
- they know how to walk, trot, canter, gallop – but not in a balanced, riding-horse sense
What might be new to a racehorse:
- traditional canter aids
- being ridden under saddle in a balanced way
- livestock, children, dogs
- turn-out and grass may be new
- hay on the floor of their stall may be new
This means that many are not suitable for children or beginners without further training by experienced riders.
- All horses will come with a coggins and a health certificate (there may or may not be a charge for the health certificate)
- It is unlikely that your horse is up to date on vaccines other than flu/rhino
- Your horse will likely be shod in a racehorse fashion, and will likely require an experienced farrier to trim and correct angles, to allow your horse to be more comfortable and successful as a riding horse
CANTER strongly recommends a veterinary pre-purchase exam for all horses. All exams will be at the buyer’s expense.
Dr. Don McCrosky Dr. Terry Morgan
CANTER does not guarantee the validity of any statement in an ad, nor guarantee the condition, soundness or suitability of any horse at any time. The individual selling the horse provides the descriptions and all information in the ad to us and we have not verified all claims therein. This includes information on any injuries, training experience, etc.. Volunteers taking the listing may only spend a few minutes with each horse, they can only contribute their observations in that short time, which may or may not be fully accurate representations of the horse. It is the buyer’s responsibility to use discretion and do his or her own research.
If you find that a horse is sold or the contact information is incorrect, please notify us ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ed Carr Horse Transport
MJK Horse Transport
We also recommend www.uship.com/horses
IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS, please see the “CONTACT US” page, message us on our Facebook page (CANTER Illinois), OR email email@example.com